Go to navigation Go to content

What does "Non-obstante verdicto" mean?


A: At the end of a lawsuit when a jury renders a verdict, the losing party will typically ask the judge to throw out the verdict because it is inconsistent with the testimony that has been given in the case.

When an attorney makes a formal request to the Court, it is known as a "motion." A motion to set aside the verdict is known in ancient legal terms as a "verdict non-obstante verdicto."  It is unlikely you will find many attorneys who still use this ancient legal term. Law school still teach it and lawyers are still required to learn it.