Go to navigation Go to content

What should I do if I get injured on the job?


A: First, you should get appropriate medical care. Second, report the injury and fill out the necessary paperwork. (Do not take this lightly, as you will see this paperwork again if you ultimately have to file suit and go to trial. Do not let a supervisor fill out the personal injury report form. Try to consult your local chairman for advice.) Third, get the names, addressees and phone numbers of witnesses to your injury. This includes people that actually witnessed the incident, as well as persons who saw you immediately after the incident or otherwise know anything about the fact that it occurred. Fourth, get in contact with your local chairman. Fifth, call an experienced railroad lawyer. You do not have to retain the lawyer at that time, but he or she can answer some of your questions. Designated counsel are best equipped to answer your questions as they deal with these issues on a daily basis. It is part of our responsibility, as designated counsel, to provide advice, whether or not you decide to hire a lawyer. In fact, sometimes our best advice is that you not hire a lawyer; but we nevertheless can help you through the process.