Go to navigation Go to content

A Morphine Cocktail Gone Wrong


Blog Category:
9/24/2010
Gerry Oginski
Comments (0)
Newborns come into the world in a fragile state.  Even a simple mistake in medical treatment can mean life or death for a baby.  That is why it is so shocking to hear about incidents in which a hospital makes careless errors in infant care.

That is what happened to a newborn when a nurse mixed up the baby’s intravenous line with that of its mother.  The result was that the baby received 400 times the recommended amount of morphine for a baby.  The baby stopped breathing and had to be revived.  The baby was able to survive but only with the help of a feeding tube.

Making matters worse was that the mother was accused of being a drug addict after hospital staff realized the baby was full of opiates.  The theory was that the mother was passing the drugs to the baby via breast feeding.  However, this theory was quickly dismissed because the baby was a triplet and its two siblings were healthy with no traces of opiates in their system.

After an investigation, it was discovered that the nurse who made the mix up was at the end of a rough twelve hour shift.  The fact is that most hospitals today are overworked and understaffed making them prone to these sorts of accidents.  Babies are especially vulnerable because they cannot tell someone what is wrong with them and even slight maltreatment can have a disastrous impact on their small bodies.

To learn more about how medical malpractice cases work, I encourage you to explore my website http://www.oginski-law.com. If you have legal questions, I urge you to pick up the phone and call me at 516-487-8207 or by e-mail at [email protected] I welcome your call.

Category: Medical Malpractice


There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "A Morphine Cocktail Gone Wrong"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."

Name:*

Email:* (will not be published)

Message:*

Notify me of follow-up comments via email.