Many people face fatal allergic reactions every day. One young girl faced such a reaction but might have been saved if a pharmacist had not refused to give her an EpiPen because she did not have a prescription.
“A teenage girl died on the street after a pharmacy refused to hand over a life-saving adrenaline injection to the girl's mother because she didn't have a prescription,” according to Fox.
The girl was only fourteen years old. Fox reports, “She suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts after mistaking satay sauce for curry sauce at a Chinese restaurant in Dublin Ireland.
She told her mother, Caroline, she was having difficulty breathing. The family rushed round the corner to a pharmacy but a male worker told Caroline they couldn’t give her an EpiPen shot - a special allergy injection - without a prescription. The worker advised Sloan to take her daughter to a hospital but Emma collapsed on the street outside.”
Even though a physician happened to be passing by at the time the young girl collapsed he was unsuccessful in helping her.
“A passing doctor, as well as ambulance staff and firefighters, tried to resuscitate her but it was too late. The teenager died in front of her two sisters, one of them just 2 years old. The girl’s mother issued a statement to the press saying, ‘My daughter died on a street corner with a crowd around her. I'm so angry I was not given the EpiPen to inject her. I was told to bring Emma to an (emergency) department. Emma was allergic to nuts and was very careful. How could a peanut kill my child?” according to Fox. The young girl’s family is outraged and planning to fight the pharmacy for not providing an EpiPen.
Should the pharmacist have handed over an EpiPen to mom?
What if the girl wasn't suffering an allergic reaction and was something different? Would giving her epinephrine have made her condition worse? What if the dosage was insufficient and the girl died anyway? Would the pharmacy be liable for contributing to the girl's untimely death?
Although we'd like to believe that giving the girl an EpiPen would have made a difference in the outcome, some severe allergic reactions may not react to the epinephrine dosage in the EpiPen. Then what?
If this scenario had happened in New York, do you think a pharmacist would have had the same reaction?
What if the mother jumped over the counter, grabbed an epipen and administered it to her daughter? Other than theft of services, which I'm sure she would have paid for later, if it saved the girl, do you think there would be any repurcussions?
What do you think? Was the pharmacist in Ireland right or wrong? Let me know below.
Post a Comment to "Girl Dies After Pharmacist Refuses to Give EpiPen"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."