Go to navigation Go to content

If I was in an accident and the driver had limited insurance, but my injuries are significant, is there any way to go after that individual personally?


A: Yes. But it is often difficult. If your injuries exceed the value of the available insurance, the only other way to obtain additional money for your pain and suffering is to continue the lawsuit against the defendant(s) personally. That means that any verdict or award you win, you will have to go after that person's personal assets. In some cases, that individual may not have any personal assets, or their assets might be protected (it might be in someone else's name, like a spouse, or it might be owned jointly). Some assets are unable to be used to satisfy judgments. Each case is different and your set of facts need to be discussed with your lawyer to see what else can be done, if anything.