When a woman came home from lunch one day to find her husband dead on the bathroom floor in a blood spattered bathroom, she knew something bad happened. What she didn't know at that time was that the kidney center that her husband was going to for dialysis every other day, failed to recognize that his shunt was infected and was potentially deadly.

An autopsy revealed that the dialysis access, known as a shunt, had clearly been infected and untreated. This led to an opening in the shunt which then burst causing the patient to bleed to death within minutes.

Our medical and surgical experts confirmed that this tragedy was preventable. Watch the video to learn more.