What are the names of the medical malpractice insurance companies that insure doctors and hospitals in New York?
1. Medical Liability Mutual Insurance Company, NYC
2. Physicians Reciprocal Insurance Company, Long Island, NY
3. FOJP Service Corp., (Federation of Jewish Philanthropies), NYC
4. CCC, Combined Coordinating Council, Based in NY and the Caribbean.
5. Some hospitals are self-insured. This means that they do not use an insurance company to purchase malpractice insurance. They take steps to make sure they have enough funds to pay for any malpractice settlements and/or judgments against them. This method can save the hospital money in the short term, but in many cases, can leave a hospital unable to pay large judgments.